Pectin’s history

The history of pectin began in the late 18th century, when in 1790 the French chemist Louis Nicolas Vauquelin, exploring vegetable products, isolated from fruit juice substance that had gelling properties. Forty years later Brakonno named it pectic acid (from the Greek “pektos” – “congealed, curdled”)

In 1937 Schneider and Bock first established structure formula of pectin, but its industrial production started only in the second half of the twentieth century.

Pectin substances have beneficial effects; they are absolutely harmless natural detoxifiers that subtract heavy metals, radionuclides and other poisonous substances from the body. That’s why they are sometimes called the “gift of nature”.

At hazardous working conditions the increasing of introduction to the organism of pectin and pectin products causes reduce of occupational diseases. In this regard, USSR Ministry of Health in 1968 legislatively provided its issuing to workers along with dairy products. Pectin was issued in the amount of 8-10 g as a jelly or pectin’s concentrate with tea. In 1979 pectin was approved by the chief state sanitary doctor of the USSR as a food product.

Today the scale of pectin production is significant, as well as the variety its application areas. In the list of food additives pectin is labeled as E440 and belongs to the class of consistency improvers: stabilizers, thickeners and gelatinizators. Negative effect of pectin is not established and its use as a food additive is allowed without restrictions in all countries.